Here’s an update on the new Creative Places project, which is all about supporting and strengthening those independent businesses that allow community and creative activity to flourish in Southampton. We are working on a number of plans such as:
- Independents loyalty card. We agreed that we really need to do something, and the idea of an “indies’ card”, a loyalty card to encourage more people to visit different creative venues, seemed like a good project to progress as a priority.
- We’d also want to develop other initiatives to encourage more people to visit Creative Places.
- Recognising the social and economic impact of creative places – sharing the messages about how these places change people’s live and sometimes even save lives. Understanding more about the local economic benefits of such places. We’re starting this with some storytelling of stories through illustration, filmmaking etc.
- A map showing where the creative places are
- A connection to “What’s On” in the city – links to event listings
- Links to business support and a better understanding on how creative places are supported in the city through other organisations such as Council, Culture Southampton, Solent Growth Hub. And some honest conversations about where the gaps are in terms of support and their appreciation.
- Events and chances to get together as a Creative Places informal network. Relevant and interesting speakers, workshops etc
- Anything else that you think would be useful and we can find a way to resource.
The emphasis will be on smaller venues, those that are independently owned. It won’t be able to be all things to all people, but can signpost to other useful resources in the city.
Would you like to be involved in this project an active way? Perhaps offering skills for specific elements or helping to steer the strategy? Perhaps your organisation can help with funding? If you want to be actively involved, please let us know . Contact Rebecca Kinge rebecca@ solentrenewal.co.uk
That’s all for now. Do keep in contact and forward this to anyone else who might be interested in this project.
On 10 January we held this event….
DANGEROUS IDEAS SOUTHAMPTON DISCUSSION GROUP….
TUESDAY 10 JANUARY, 10AM (please note change to earlier advertised time)
THE ART HOUSE, 178 ABOVE BAR ST, SOUTHAMPTON SO14 7DW
How should Southampton support and strengthen local independent businesses and small creative places that foster creative activity in the city? Budding and established artists rely on venues such as the Art House, Mettricks, local music pubs etc to showcase local talent and give new artists a chance.
What is the role of us as individuals and as a community? What would we like organisations such as Southampton City Council, Culture Southampton and the city centre Business Improvement District to do? Perhaps there is an appropriate coordinated project that we could progress?
This is a chat over a drink (and lunch if you wish to stay on). This is not a formal consultation, it is a discussion starting with the grassroots community, and what happens next depends on all of us.
10 – 10.15am – Drinks, introduction and welcome
10.15 – 10.45am – A chance to hear from people running creative places
10.45 – 11am – Break
11am – 12.30pm – Discussion. What is the role of us as individuals and as a community? What would we like organisations such as Southampton City Council, Culture Southampton and the city centre Business Improvement District to do? Perhaps there is an appropriate coordinated project that we could progress?
12.30pm – Finish of discussion.
Please share your ideas and experience! If you would like to send in some thoughts on any of these topics in advance, please feel free to do so. There’s already been discussion about this subject via the CHAOS network facebook group and you can join our event page. We would be grateful if you could steer clear of doing a critique of individual businesses though. This is about supporting those businesses and creatives that are working really hard in a tough climate.
Apologies to those that can’t make it at this time. Let us know if you are interested in future similar events. There is also the meeting of local creatives – CHAOS network – on Wed 11 Jan at 9am at Solent Showcase gallery where more discussion can take place. We will making a report of the gathering, which can then feed into future discussions and actions.
Coordinated by Rebecca Kinge email@example.com 07968 777261